New to list, make in applet

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Dec 7 14:58:43 CET 2008

On Sunday 07 December 2008 15:04:34 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Sunday 07 December 2008 13:08:49 David Baron wrote:
> > I am building an applet to control a speakerphone modem. I have
> > encountered the following problems:
>
> Knowing your version of KDE would be useful. Also, maybe you can post code
> so people can point out things that might be wrong.
>
> And welcome to Plasma :-)

I am using kde4.1.3 from debian experimental and backports.
While the code is not voluminous, it is longer than appropriate for such a
posting. If the list permits inclusions, I can do so.

Basically, the paint method places an image or alternating by a timer, two
images based on program state. A "daemon" thread, code lifted from xringd,
monitors the modem for dial. Clicking the applet can answer the phone, hang up
when talking or put up a widget from which one can dial a call.

All of the io which can be time-disrupting is in threads so the UI should
remain responsive and even.

Nothing very complicated once one can figures out how to read the modem
effectively.