plasma-mid (Mobile Internet Device)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:47:59 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008, pinheiro wrote:
> A Tuesday 26 August 2008 11:39:26, Marco Martin escreveu:
> > On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Chani wrote:
> > > what about corner actions like in dolphin? or would that suck for
> > > thumbs? ...ohh. those normally show up on hover, and touchscreens
> > > don't really have hover....
> > > aaron,were you suggesting they show up on mousedown and then i can
> > > drag my pointer to one of the corner icons to select it? huh.
> > > interesting.
> >
> > maybe keeping pressed for more than x time like the fake right mouse menu
> > in some places of maemo?
> > would only be needed that the menu has items big enough
> > (there is even already a plasma patch by Marijn that does that)
>
> Do we have any idea of the amount of possible apps we might have?
> tree like menus are not IMO best bread in this devices... so i would favor
> page like menus, but if we have more than say 3 pages then some
> categorization must be in order... somthing like play, surf, configure,
> produce, etc.

by default very few, i think one page would fit all the application, the
problem is the fist week one has the device and tries to install almost every
conceivable crap (well at least it's what happens to me, but maybe i'm too
geeky) :)

i was thinking to something like that (very quick and dirty ):
http://www.notmart.org/misc/plasma-mid.png
the bar on the left is a top level panel that switches between start menu
(default when it boots), a desktop with plasmoids look alike and the list of
running tasks, also a grid of big icons

the right bar belongs to the start menu containment so doesn't always take
screen and has the categories of the start menu (and contacts too maybe)

the search field maybe appears/disappears on keyboard slide :)

oh and with this design i really have no idea where to put the tray icons :(

Cheers,
Marco Martin