[nepomuk-kde] Some clarifications with nepomuk integration

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 21 12:49:36 CEST 2008

On Thursday 21 August 2008, Richard Dale wrote:
> 2008/8/21 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>

> > geoclue.
> >
> > > Well, I was actually talking of adding a wrapper to geoclue instead of
> > > accessing it directly. As that would allow us the flexibility for
> > > future extensions and maybe the possibility to swap the entire geoclue
> > > for something better (if needed ! )
> >
> > that would be fine; for plasma i was just going to wrap it behind
> > Plasma::Context as i don't have the time to do a full on wrapper lib for
> > geoclue.
> >

> > fortunately it looks pretty easy: there are really only three data
> > outputs from geoclue right now, and we probably don't care much about one
> > of them for
> > Context (velocity).
> >
> > in plasma we will want the ability to get both the "raw" information
> > (city, country, long/lat) as well as some useful mappings such as
> > timezone (should hopefully be able to map locality -> timezone?) ...
>
>  What does geoclue do

reports your longitude, lattitude, velocity, city and/or country using gps, ip
address mapping, cell tower triangulation or other means.

>  - why is it a Gnome project?

because some GNOMiEs started it. it has minimal dependencies at this point,
though.

>  Shouldn't we be getting
> this kind of data from a SPARQL endpoint out on the web somewhere? I did

once we know the physical location of the device, sure. but until then ...
what good would a SPARQL query be? and that's the part that geoclue fills in.

the downsides of geoclue are, imho:

* there are exactly zero packages for things that aren't maemo
* there is nearly zero documentation online for how to use the damn thing
* it's written in C, but that's more a personal preference than anything i
suppose ;)

the upsides of geoclue are, imho:

* it exists and works (both on my laptop and on my N810)
* there are no other F/OSS equivalents out there that i know of
* the geoclue people are excited to work with us, and the lead dev attended
Akademy and presented on it

all the actual location<->context/data mapping will, of course, happen within
nepomuk itself. geoclue is just there to answer "where am i", everything else
happens in more sane locations.

humru othro a kohnu se