Wallpaper plugins

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 20 11:08:36 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 20 August 2008, Petri Damstén wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been working on Plasma::Wallpaper and patch was getting big. Since
> there are some svn moves coming we agreed with Aaron that I should commit
> it now and continue to work on it in trunk. Sorry for not posting some
> earlier versions for comments.
>
> Committed changes:
> - Wallpaper API changes discussed in plasma-devel.
> - Remove background painting from desktop containment.
> - Remove desktop configuration from desktop containment.
> - Add Image (Single image and Slideshow) wallpaper plugin (converted from
> desktop containment).
> - Configuration to color wallpaper plugin.
> - Add Desktop configuration to desktop view (converted from desktop
> containment).
> - Desktop containment selection.
>
> Wallpaper plugins have been working pretty good on my machine for some
> days. Desktop containment selection has more problems (Code in
> - Containment gets wrong geometry (after restart it's not on screen).

is it that it gets the wrong geometry, or that the screen number isn't set?
i'm guessing the latter. i'm suspicious of the c->restore(containmentConfig)
line and the lack of a matching save. not all the settings from the
containment may yet be written into the containmentConfig, and without calling
save the new containment certainly won't (so changing it twice will result in
a fairly nasty loss of data) ...

i think this requires some improvements to how Containment handles it's
configuration. i'm looking into it now..

> - Dataengine connection seems to break when containment changed

do you mean DataEngines connected to applets that are migrated from one
containment to another?

> - Other containments don't have desktop settings... Should containments

this will be something we'll want to add to generic containment support, at
least for DesktopContainments. how to handle this for CustomContainments will
remain to be seen; they may need to set up or at least add this action
themselves.

humru othro a kohnu se