Smarter desktop applet placement

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 19 21:11:58 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 19 August 2008, Ambroz Bizjak wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > what was the purpose of the change to Plasma::Applet::itemChange? it
> > doesn't
> > seem to harm anything, so it's now committed, but i'm wondering what it
> > fixed
> > (if anything?) for you.
>
> My handler for the Applet::geometryChanged signal didn't see the applet's
> new geometry(), but the old one.
>
> > i've committed the changes to DefaultDesktop (do you have an svn account
> > yet?)
> > .. after some more testing, i think it would make sense to find a way to
> > integrate this into libplasma so other containments can make use of it.
>
> Yes I have a svn account (thanks!), but I was about to do more testing.
> I've fixed two bugs since when I sent the last code (possible shutdown
> crash from not disconnecting workAreaChanged, compatibility with configs
> including only the "geometry" key), will commit them shortly.

cool..

> > patches against trunk are all that's needed; i don't think this is a
> > valid candidate for backporting to 4.1.
>
> Probably really not; but it's easier to test code if you have a working
> baseline.

the issue is that you may end running into issues in 4.1 that no longer exist
in trunk/, or trunk may behave in a new way due to added features. for
completely isolated features, this doesn't matter; but then again, for
completely isolated features then working in trunk is just fine (for the same
reason). so working against the 4.1 branch is probably more trouble than it's
worth.

> > the new folderviews were placed in the upper left corner, overlapping the
> > first
> > folderview. it probably makes sense in that case to place the new applet
> > in
> > the empty space below even if it "hangs off" the edge. it should probably
> > only
> > stack them in the corner if there is less than a certain % of the needed
> > space
> > for the applet required
>
> I'll see what I can do. The current philosophy of my layout is that
> everything should be inside the screen, it would complicate thinks a
> little if there were exceptions.

unfortunately, it just makes it appear very broken when, e.g., adding
folderviews with the current assumption =/

humru othro a kohnu se