proposal to port plasma to Qt

Arvid Ephraim Picciani aep at ibcsolutions.de
Mon Aug 18 00:29:51 CEST 2008

Greetings,
I'd like to propose porting plasma to Qt by making kdelibs optional.
The point is to follow Trolltechs idea of "qt everywhere" and have the plasma
core run on all platforms Qt supports, with just recompiling.
My personal inention is to use plasma as workspace for a new generation
operating system codename "qapla", but a port would benefit other projects as
well. plasma would be able to run on mobile phones (and even fast if they
support opengl). It could also result in a completly new use case for plasma,
ie as a base for other qt applications that use it as a widget.

I already talked to Aaron who supports the general idea of running plasma on
embedded devices, and Riccardo who brought up the idea, that it might be
possible to have a drop in replacement for kde dependencies.

Note that i'm only talking about the plasma app itself. Plasmoids are
obviously platform dependant. especially the taskbar and systray.
Those would have to be implemented for each platform.

Apps like marble show by example that it is possible to maintain kde
integration as an opt-in.

I'd like to here your opinion. If there is enought support i hope to be able
to reuse plasma for my own project instead of having to reinvent the wheel.

--
best regards
Arvid Ephraim Picciani