Smarter desktop applet placement

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Thu Aug 14 00:06:16 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 23:11:54 Ambroz Bizjak wrote:
> - When the screen shrinks, it pushes applets that were left outside of the
> working area (partially or fully) inside the screen. When pushing an
> applet, items in its way are also pushed to make space. If the applet
> already overlappes with other applets, the group of overlapping applets is
> pushed together as one item. Failing to push the item inside the working
> area, it is temporarily made visible somewhere else using the old
> positioning algorithm. The applet is made visible at the original position
> as soon as it gets back inside the working area.

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I haven't been following the discussion.

Suppose the user adds a panel, causing an applet that is in the way to be
"temporarily repositioned" as though it had just been added.  Then, three
weeks (or some other long amount of time) later, the user changes or removes
the panel.  Does the applet (which the user has left where it jumped to,
because they decided they actually quite like it there) suddenly jump back?

Alex

--
Proud KDE hacker: http://www.kde.org
Get KDE 4.1 - out now!