plasmoids, scripting and introduction :)

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Wed Aug 13 10:48:28 CEST 2008

Hello,

Christoph Schmid wrote:
> I am new on this list, and interested in plasma development.
> Especially in terms of writing plasmoids in scripting languages.
> Does anyone here has a brief quick-start-guide on this topic!?
> What prerequisites do i need (besides kde4 from trunk)?
> Mr. Seigo, who i asked on this topic pointed me to this List for further
> information :)

Richard Dale has got Ruby plasmoids working although I couldn't tell you
how to get started using it. Javascript should be available too.
(Richard M?)

As for python, I'm busy working on it at Akademy. The plasma API is
wrapped but it will be a while before the rest of the integration is
done and it is in a usable state for plasmoid developers. It is now
Proof-of-Concept. I intend to have good support in KDE 4.2. And by the
word 'intend' I mean "virtually promised to a lecture theater full of
fellow KDE devs". ;-)

We're not quite at the quick-start-guide stage yet, but we are getting
there.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/