Idle time tracking in KRunner

Ryan P. Bitanga ryan.bitanga at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 12:56:33 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Would anyone object if I enabled idle time tracking in KRunner even if
the screensaver is not enabled in System Settings? We currently only
track idle time if screen savers are enabled but idle time has uses
for power management and possibly other things.

I decided to do something I thought wasn't related to plasma or
KRunner, by writing a power manager a few weeks ago, only to find all
paths lead back to KRunner. So here I am again. :)  I think the gnome
screen saver still tracks idle time even if its disabled since
gnome-power-manager svn trunk relies solely on it for idle time
decisions. If we don't _always_ track idle time, power managers need
to read XScreenSaverInfo.idle themselves. I also noticed KRunner seems
to lag behind XScreenSaverInfo a few seconds but that shouldn't be an
issue since ideally screensavers should be triggered by minutes of
inactivity.

I'm also thinking about rewriting the whole xautolock thing. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Ryan