KDE/kdebase/workspace/libs/plasma

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Wed Aug 6 03:57:17 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> SVN commit 842821 by aseigo:
>
> wheel scroll == desktop switch; no configuration, let's see how people
> react.
>
> moment of philosophy: there are some features used almost exclusively by
> people who can't (or can't be bothered to) write code, but know where our
> bug tracker is, my blog is, what my email address is, etc... this is one
> such feature. amazing. or sad. i'm not sure which.

Just a probably rather stupid question/suggestion;

wouldn't be such things ideal for either

a) different desktop-containments (probably even by allowing to put one
desktop-containment over another and allow that way to "overwrite" specific
functionality while preserving the (not overwriten) functionality of the
underlying "base" desktop-containment. Probably even allowing
a "super-configurable desktop-containment" additional to a "only basic
things" one

or

b) scripts! :)
Scripts, in whatever language, could be distributed via GHNS (no GUI-option
needed) to implement specific functionality and extend that way e.g. the
desktop-containment with whatever crazy idea someone has how his very own
desktop should behave. That way there is no UI-clutter too except a probably
rather large GHNS-list of crazy things to turn the (desktop-)containment into
an alien that looks human (excludes Alf and E.T. which are handled by another
script)

well, just my 2 cent before the next reporter asks for being able to turn that
off ;)