[Plasma/Krunner] multiple actions targets

Adrien BUSTANY madcat at mymadcat.com
Tue Aug 5 17:11:07 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Monday 04 August 2008, Adrien BUSTANY wrote:
>
>> first off all, I apologize if I'm not posting to the right list, I'm not
>> sure if this thread should go to kde-devel.
>>

> plasma-devel at kde.org (moving this discussion there)

OK, I'm subscribed now. Sorry again for the mistake, the list is not on
http://www.kde.org/mailinglists/ :-s

>> Krunner currently allows a krunner plugin to specify multiple actions
>> for a single result.
>>

> correct; it's supported in the runners, but not current used in the UI.
>

>> If I understood correctly, the runner has to
>> provide its own widget to present the different actions.
>>

> right now that would be the only mechanism, but it's not what is intended long
> term.
>

>> I'm suggesting a more "integrated" way to have multiple actions, a bit
>> like what's done with quicksilver on Mac OS X, or Gnome-Do : if the
>> runner specifies that there are several actions for a QueryMatch, then
>> we keep the krunner window open, and display the actions in that window.
>>

> right; that's been the intention all along.
>

>> We might for that display bigger items than the default small squares,
>> but that's a detail.
>>

> there are a couple mockups that Ruphy/Nuno/David came up with that show
> results in a few forms.
>

>> The the run method of the runner would be called
>> with the QueryMatch as a parameter, plus a QueryAction, or something
>> like that.
>>

> the selected action should be added to the QueryMatch passed in imho. this
> will avoid breaking the API and keep it simple enough.

OK, I'm glad to see that what I want to do match your plans. Do you have
any insight on the progress of this project (ie, is it almost done, or
is it still a work in progress) ? I might be able to give a hand...

Best regards
Adrien