extender api review round 3

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Aug 2 02:09:40 CEST 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> - a geometryChanged() signal in  Extender, so you can change your applets
> size hints when the extender size changes... which brings be actually to a
> more general problem in plasma: qgraphicslayout. In the current situation,
> when you add a layout to your applet, and insert some stuff, the sizehints
> of the applet containing the layout are not updated... leading to the
> infamous 'layouts can grow outside the borders of an applet' issue. I've
> actually seen some applets in trunk setting the sizehints manually, but
> isn't this something that should be handled automagically? I can't think of
> a situation where you want different behavior. QGL doesn't have any signals
> that notify a change of size hints so how would such a thing be
> accomplished. Any suggestions?

yes, this is just a really bad set of interactions in QGL. it needs to be fixed
in Qt.

> - A virtual saveState function that gets called on extenders when plasma
> exits, and is used to save stuff like the position within the extender, so
> that can also be recovered. '

sounds sane.

> After some major breakages at first, I'm glad to say that most things
> actually work quite well again

huzzah!

> Should I check this stuff into svn?

yes, i think that makes sense at this point. please put an entry in the
CHANGELOG as well. i think it also makes sense to put the ui server applet
into kdebase, assuming it's in a non-stupid state.

> I'm looking forward to getting some feedback on the current api.

style issues:

in the header, everything is indented 4 spaces in for the namespace. we don't
do that anywhere else. so, e.g. this line:

class PLASMA_EXPORT Extender : public QGraphicsWidget

should be left aligned.

tiny style issues:

        Q_PROPERTY(QString emptyExtenderMessage READ emptyExtenderMessage
                                                WRITE setEmptyExtenderMessage)

what does the WRITE align with? nothing =) align it with the READ or QString
on the line above; your choice =)

humru othro a kohnu se