After KDE 4.1 release: GHNS and other issues

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 1 19:23:55 CEST 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008, Jamboarder wrote:
> > From: Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org>
> >
> > Il Thursday 31 July 2008 09:09:56 Kelly Miller ha scritto:
> > > Why?
> >
> > Because with external C++ applets distributed on kde-look we will face
> > the same problem that we're facing now - uninstallable applets show up
> > and users get confused.
>
> What I don't understand is why the kde-look GHNS feed should expose C++
> applets at all.

it shouldn't; that's what Frank will be working on (along with an approval
process)

> I guess I'm not really seeing the reason to discourage C++ applets since
> they cannot be functionally installed via GHNS anyway and the security
> risks of the user compiling C++ applets are no different than for any other
> piece software.

which, as add-ons, will disqualify them from certain types of securitiy
sensitive deployments.

> The incentive for writing scripted applets is inherent in
> the fact that they CAN be installed via GHNS.

not just GHNS, but also eventually:

* via P2P as part of collaboration services (where "collaboration" could be
"sharing a presentation" or "paying a vending machine")

* can be runtime sandboxed by removing API, allowing them to be used in more
security profiles (affecting which desktop deployments and devices they are
usable in)

* user managed via the GUI (install/uninstall)

so yes, there are quite a few "built in" advantages, though most are still "in
the pipeline"

humru othro a kohnu se