Phonon-backends Digest, Vol 55, Issue 3

Aish Raj Dahal dahalaishraj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 12:20:56 UTC 2012

> >         Respected Members of the Phonon Community,
> >
> >         I am student of Computer Science and Engineering from Nepal. I
> >         have good coding skills in C++ and am familiar with Qt and
> >         Unit testing using the Qt.
> >
> >         With regard to this, I would like to apply for the GSoC
> >         project of Gluon "Implementation of Unit Tests". I hope to
> >         develop a fully functional suite of unit tests for Gluon
> >         during the coding period of Google Summer of Code.
> >
> > I am really very sorry for the above typographic mistake. It was a
> > typographic error for which I regret. I wanted to mention Phonon but
> > ended up typing Gluon. Please accept my humble apologies.Also I would
> > be thankful if you could provide some information about the planned
> > implementation.
>
> Whoah, chill dude. No need to be so formal. One of the goals of GSOC is
> to bring you into our community. It isn't a job with bosses, a rigid
> chain of command, or silly bureaucracy.

Thanks :)

At some point in time, we had working unit tests. Then so much changed
> and the tests were never kept up to date, so we got rid of them to
> prevent the sources from making false promises. I'd suggest looking
> through phonon's git history for ideas.

That's indeed a good idea. I shall look into phonon's git history for that.

> >         However, as IRC is banned in my university, and as webIRC is
> >         unreliable at times, through this email I would like to
> >         enquire if there are any specific requirements about applying
> >         for this project. Also, I would be really thankful to you if
> >         you could help me by providing with any other advice which
> >         shall help me make my application more robust.
>
> If you can't use IRC, this will make communication with the project
> exceeeeeeedingly difficult and unlikely for you to pass. Have you tried
> using all of freenode's available ports? Or perhaps using off-campus
> internet service?

Well, all ports other than the usual SSL and HTTP ports are inaccessible.
However, the webIRC is accessible most of them, apart form the peak times
(8:30pm to 11:00 pm IST) when there is high activity in the campus. For now
I guess I'd stick to it. My IRC nick on freenode is ardahal. If selected
for GSoC, I would be in my homeland of Nepal where I shall have a personal
connection to access IRC and Git.

Thank you, once again :)

> http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml
>

> >         Best Regards,