GSoC Project: Implementation of Unit Tests

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 21 11:05:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 15:54 +0530, Aish Raj Dahal wrote:

>         Respected Members of the Phonon Community,
>
>         I am student of Computer Science and Engineering from Nepal. I
>         have good coding skills in C++ and am familiar with Qt and
>         Unit testing using the Qt.
>
>         With regard to this, I would like to apply for the GSoC
>         project of Gluon "Implementation of Unit Tests". I hope to
>         develop a fully functional suite of unit tests for Gluon
>         during the coding period of Google Summer of Code.
>
> I am really very sorry for the above typographic mistake. It was a
> typographic error for which I regret. I wanted to mention Phonon but
> ended up typing Gluon. Please accept my humble apologies.Also I would
> be thankful if you could provide some information about the planned
> implementation.

Whoah, chill dude. No need to be so formal. One of the goals of GSOC is
to bring you into our community. It isn't a job with bosses, a rigid
chain of command, or silly bureaucracy.

At some point in time, we had working unit tests. Then so much changed
and the tests were never kept up to date, so we got rid of them to
prevent the sources from making false promises. I'd suggest looking
through phonon's git history for ideas.

>         However, as IRC is banned in my university, and as webIRC is
>         unreliable at times, through this email I would like to
>         enquire if there are any specific requirements about applying
>         for this project. Also, I would be really thankful to you if
>         you could help me by providing with any other advice which
>         shall help me make my application more robust.

If you can't use IRC, this will make communication with the project
exceeeeeeedingly difficult and unlikely for you to pass. Have you tried
using all of freenode's available ports? Or perhaps using off-campus
internet service?

http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml