vlc backend : Device selection inefficient

aCOSwt acoswt at orange.fr
Sat Feb 4 13:50:46 UTC 2012

Hello,

Whatever device is selected among the list of Device Preference leads to an
identical result when the vlc backend is selected.
No problem with the xine backend.

-- Environment ------
Linux Kernel 3.2.1
KDE 4.7.4 but this was also the case under last 4.6.
phonon-4.5.1 + phonon-vlc-0.4.0 + phonon-xine-4.4.4

-- Device list with the vlc backend selected --------
Showing "Advanced devices" 11 devices are shown including :
Alsa Default | The HDA (which outputs are not connected) | The ICE1712
compatible device which outputs to an external amplifier | jack (running) |
dummy | out_file | loopbacks... aso...

--- Problem details ----------
Whatever the device I select and apply to everything, I can hear sound when
depressing the test button.
which obviously should not be the case with devices such as HDA, dummy,
out_file...
When jack is selected, jackd sees no client.
Moreover, I do not even think that the first device in the list (Alsa-Default)
is chosen because my Alsa-Default is made around dmix + resampling and the
sound I can hear is obviously not resampled.

Everything is absolutely correct when selecting the xine backend.
I get a more reduced set of devices but I correctly hear nothing when testing
the HDA, jackd sees an additional client when I select jack... aso.

Reproducible: Always

Respectfully,

aCOSwt