Phonon's backends to JACK.

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sun Jun 12 21:55:06 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-12 07:35 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >> Also, keep in mind that phonon is *not* a sound server. It's a
> >> library. PA and JACK are the servers, so it's not cascading 3
> >> sound servers, just 2.
> >
> > That's still one too many.
>
> Why?

Why indeed. Why can't Phonon users have the choice of intermixing
professional grade latency and/or overriding the convenient consumer
grade library when and if they want to? I just don't understand the
pushback against a world class low latency audio facility like Jack.

Not all linux users are stuck with Ubuntu.

> I can see the principle of avoiding it but I don't like to dismiss
> things out of hand just because of numbers.

Are latency and xruns just dismissable "numbers"?

> I mean, if you don't like stacking things, you wouldn't use Phonon in
> the first place! :p

I have no choice, if I try to remove phonon then my entire KDE desktop
is also removed. Even PA is irrevocably embedded in my desktop...

~ sudo pacman -R libpulse
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: fluidsynth: requires libpulse
:: mplayer: requires libpulse
:: phonon: requires libpulse
:: speech-dispatcher: requires libpulse

There seems to be a either/or take on Jack vs Pulse whereas I thought
the promise of Phonon would mean the inclusion of all backend options,
including a PA-free low latency near zero xrun Jack option regardless
of CPU cycles involved... if the end user so chooses.