Phonon's backends to JACK.

aCOSwt acoswt at orange.fr
Sat Jun 11 15:32:21 CEST 2011

Hello,

Running a gentoo-portage's kde 4.6.2 (packing phonon 4.5.0)

- I have been working happily for years with phonon's xine backend that gets
for me the uncomparable advantage of being pluggable to Jack in two clicks.
- Considering all what I can read about xine maintenance together with the
fact that gstreamer backend became the default choice with kde 4.6, I have
great fears about its future.

=> I am trying to make so the other backends (vlc and gstreamer) output to
Jack.

1/ vlc
 - vlc by itself correctly outputs to jack in two clicks. This configuration
however does not seem to impact phonon-vlc.
 - If I select jack among the choices I get under system-
settings/multimedia/phonon/output device preference then it just displays a
warning box that it does not work and automatically selects the next available
device
 - Of course I get a .asoundrc and there is a still opened bug (though dating
from kde 4.4) about the fact that phonon-vlc is broken when one gets an
asoundrc, is this still true with 4.6 ?

2/ gstreamer
 - I even do not get the choice for jack in the device list.
 - I of course installed gst-plugin-jack and tried to follow this howto :
http://jackaudio.org/gstreamer_via_jack, replacing gconf2 by gconftool-2 but
there is nothing such as /system/gstreamer in my existing tree...
Should I need some additional gnome dedicated tool in order to configure a
pure kde install ?

Well well... Some help would be... hmmm... helpful !

Yours faithfully,

aCOSwt