Phonon xine backend future

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Feb 22 16:35:05 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Colin Guthrie <phonon at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> ifdefs? That kind of sucks.

I agree, but looking at the current code... I love them Qt compile
time things :P

> It could be made more generic indeed with PA just being one of
> potentially many plugins. I'm just not sure it's really worth it...

Not until we actually have a couple more use-cases for such a thing I
would say. Like the platform plugin stuff we have seems over the top
as only KDE has a known platform plugin and having abstraction for but
one thing is rather annoying and IMHO makes the code bloated for no
good reason.

That said, PA support is partly runtime based anyway, as it will only
kick in if the daemon is actually installed, so for the case
highlighted by Ian a distro can simply build phonon with PA support,
but not actually deploy the daemon.

regards,
Harald