Review Request: Phonon KDED module: Improve finding virtual devices from ALSA

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at
Mon Feb 21 17:31:12 CET 2011

Le lundi 21 février 2011 13:16:53 Casian Andrei, vous avez écrit :
> Summary
> -------
> Modifications on findVirtualDevices in PhononServer, to make it find usable
> capture devices for Phonon-VLC, at least. Phonon audio capture works with
> the provided devices. Also made a couple of mostly irelevant improvements.
> The Phonon KDED module was not providing any usable capture devices. Only
> some iec958 digital devices showed up, which didn't work at all. VLC needs
> a default analog ALSA device, like hw:CARD=SB, in my case.

VLC cannot capture _directly_ from funky hw: ALSA devices, but it should be
able to capture through the corresponding plughw: devices. alsa-lib should do
the necessary sample conversion on the fly.

Note though that VLC provides its own audio capture device detection through
the udev module.

Rémi Denis-Courmont