[GSoC] PCM I/O API for Phonon

Colin Guthrie phonon at colin.guthr.ie
Sat May 22 11:59:43 CEST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Ian Monroe at 22/05/10 11:40 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Michael Forney<mforney at mforney.org>  wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> My name is Michael Forney, and I am a student studying Electrical
>> Engineering and Computer Science at UC Berkeley. I will be working on a
>> low-level PCM I/O API for Phonon this summer.
>
> Great looking project. It came up at the KDE multimedia sprint since
> this would be a good feature for KNotify, so that the sounds could be
> much more responsive.
>
> My only feedback at this point is that I would recommend the second
> backend implementation be gstreamer. Mplayer is rather limited and
> Xine is being deprecated.

I would second that, partly because I'm sitting next to Ian right now!,
but also because the GST backend is still used and preferred by several
companies, including Intel and Nokia for certain projects. I'm not sure
of the future, but certainly Xine as an upstream project seems dead and
Mplayer as a phonon backend is not really supported or recommended (so
basically what Ian said, with my +1 :p)

Col