Phonon

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Wed Jul 21 18:33:15 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 15:35, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 July 2010 15:12:14 Martin Sandsmark wrote:
>> On Wednesday 21 July 2010 14:26:00 Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>> > But not all backends are available/well maintained on all platforms (for
>> > example Fedora cares more about GStreamer, other distros could have
>> > another favourite). But I understand why you aim on one really usable
>> > backend.
>>
>> This is why we are working with VLC to iron out licensing issues and other
>> issues (like being able to strip out patent-encumbered code) that may
>>  hinder phonon-vlc adoption. :-)
>>

> Yes, that's great - it's a problem for us in Fedora.
>
> But that still doesn't solve problem that on some systems GStreamer (people
> like it or not (hate is the right word)...) is better maintained or even the
> only one solution available. So I'm in favor to support at least VLC and
> GStreamer on the same level.

Well, the problem is that the gstreamer backend is not currently
maintained and has far too many bugs to be recommendable. If the
distributions really care, some help would be appreciated. So far, not
even gstreamer is flawless with new bugs appearing every now and then
(one only recently), its structure is not exactly easy to grasp with
far too many codecs/demuxers/encoders/plugins etc. which makes it a
quite complicated framework. Some Mandriva developers did contribute
code but since they no longer work for Mandriva nothing has moved in
the gstreamer backend since.

> /me is fan of VLC backend though ;-)

Well, the big difference here is that we do collaborate with the VLC
developers who contribute code and help wherever they can. But some
more hands are really appreciated so we can iron out the biggest
problems and soon ship it to the distributions.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org