phonon xine mediaobject and badly encoded filenames

Marcos Dione mdione at
Sat Nov 14 19:20:36 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:16:39AM +0100, Marcos Dione wrote:
>     in other news, the gstreamer backend seems to suffer from a similar
> problem. playing a file successuly with this patch and the xine backend, I get:
> bool Phonon::Xine::XineStream::xineOpen(Phonon::State) xine_open succeeded for m_mrl = file:/%2Fhome%2Fmdione%2Fmedia%2Fmusic%2F%2FSoda%20Stereo%2FEl%20%C3%BAltimo%20concierto%2F19-Un%20mill%F3n%20de%20a%F1os%20luz.mp3
>     but with gstreamer:
> (<unknown>:10963): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_make_from_uri: assertion `gst_uri_is_valid (uri)' failed
>     I will continue investigate that once I finished with this patch, which
> besides actually commiting it, I think I just done.

    I found out that simple setting the scheme ('file') for the url was enough
to make this backend work. now it only rests to define if this is desirable or
we should make it 'compatible' to how the xine backend works; namely, it adds
the 'file' scheme if it's not there.

(Not so) Random fortune:
IT restrictions are corrosive to that creativity--they keep everyone under
the thumb of people who have no idea which tools we need to do our jobs but
who are charged with deciding anyway. 
	    -- Farhad Manjoo

More information about the Phonon-backends mailing list