current xine and gstreamer status and capibilities

Artur Szymiec artur.szymiec at gmail.com
Sun May 10 23:28:12 CEST 2009

Greetings,

I would like to ask about current status of phonon back-ends.
1) Which one of the back-ends will be "favorite" one. I heard that
gstreamer is officially supported by QT.
    On the other hand I can't bring the gstreamer back-end to work in
KDE (Kubuntu 9.04, KDE 4.2.3) - does it mean it's broken ?
2) Are there any plans to add more effects to phonon. Especially I'm
interested in adding an equalizer effect.
    While it's currently reported by gstreamer back-end I'm unable to
test it because gstreamer doesn't want to work in KDE.
    On the other hand xine is working great while it suffers from
missing equalizer effect (I mean xine phonon back-end, cause xine itself
    have some equalizer, maybe not as good as gstreamer but it's better
than nothing).

I would like to join a phonon development in the scope of adding
equalizer effect, but whatever my support is necessary or not depend
on the answer of above questions. Also as I'm new to phonon for sure I
will appreciate some mentoring at the beginning.

Wit best regards

Artur Szymiec

Omnes Vulnerant Postuma Necat ...
Registered User No 397465
Linux 2.6.28-11-generic AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+
Ubuntu 9.04