Question about the interface classes

Håvard Wall haavardw at ifi.uio.no
Tue Jun 26 17:06:32 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 15:19, Matthias Kretz wrote:
[...]
> Ugh, so how frequent can we break the backend requirements? And how do the

What exactly do you mean by breaking backend requirements?

> Qt plugin version checks work? My ~/.config/Trolltech.conf currently has
> this entry:
> [Qt%20Plugin%20Cache%204.3.debug]
> home\kdevel\KDE\kde4\lib\kde4\plugins\phonon_platform\kde.so=40300, 1, i686
> Linux g++-4 full-config, 2007-06-20T10:01:28
>
> When updating Qt, will it stop loading the kde plugin (if it isn't
> recompiled, of course)?

That's true. Currently the plugin check is very strict and every update of Qt
requires you to recompile your plugins. So strictly speaking a Qt plugin only
needs to be source code compatible. As long as it compiles and works as
before, that's good enough, so it's even ok to add virtual functions to
backend classes as long as they have a default implementation.

> So you think that phonon on embedded should always dynamically load the
> backend? Or are there some cases where you want to have it compiled into
> libphonon?

I see not having to change the code as most important. If there's a configure
switch or something pointing to the backend source to be included, that might
be fine. However I can guess some hardware vendors would want to ship
binaries only. In that case it would be nice if users could upgrade the
phonon core libraries independently if they need to, instead of having to ask
the hardware vendor to compile a new library. So being able to compile in a
static library might be an idea.

--
hw