API

Richard richardmg at trolltech.com
Tue Jul 10 13:06:27 CEST 2007

Preroll should then happend upon MediaObject::setCurrentSource, is
that correct?

IMHO I think the user should be able to control this if he really
wants to, but the default should be to preroll unless otherwise
specified. E.g:
void setCurrentSource(const MediaSource &source, bool preroll = true);

-Richard

On Jul 10, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Matthias Kretz wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 July 2007, Richard wrote:
>> Is there functionallity for prerolling media in phonon?
>>
>> If not, I would suggest the possibility of supporting this with e.g
>> the method:
>> bool MediaObject::preRollMedia(qint64 startTime = 0, float
>> playbackRate = 1.0f);
>>
>> ...and then a signal:
>> MediaObject::mediaPreRolled(float percentage);
>> ...That lets the user monitor the progress.
>
> preroll is implicit in Phonon and I like it that way until you can
> convince me
> otherwise.
>
> Another thing the Phonon API allows is what you know from some CD
> players:
> after setting the MediaSource you can call pause() and the
> MediaObject will
> go from StoppedState into PausedState. A transition from Paused to
> Playing is
> guaranteed to be the fastest you can get.
>
>> BTW: I connot find any notion of playback rate either, except in the
>> experimental files (videodataoutput). Perhaps we should add this
>> somewhere. In QuickTime you can have negative playback rate, meaning
>> the movie will play backwards ;)
>
> VideoDataOutput only gives you the frame rate for a playback rate
> of 1.0.
> Fast/slow/backward playback is not supported in the current Phonon
> API. And I
> think we should postpone that to post-4.0
>
> --

Richard Moe Gustavsen
Software Engineer II, Trolltech ASA
Sandakerveien 116, NO-0484 Oslo, Norway