Phonon and video for linux (v4l)

Tim Beaulen tbscope at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 18:10:15 CEST 2006

On 10/5/06, Detlev Casanova <detlev.casanova88 at laposte.net> wrote:
> > There are Xine, NMM and Avkode backends. A GStreamer backend was just
> > started. I don't think there will be any more backends than that and I
> > think one of Xine or Avkode will die at some point (in order to not spread
> > our little forces too much).
>
> So GStreamer seems to be the best choice but as I can see, phonon-xine
> already
> exists in the KDE SVN repository and seems ,nowadays, to be the most
> developped backend....
> Why would Xine backend die ?
>
> By the way, GStreamer doesn't seem to support v4l which is a handicap for
> what
> I'm up to do.

GStreamer supports both v4l and v4l2 (although the latter one is in
the "bad plugins")

I just started with the Phonon GStreamer backend, and if you want to
you can always help with the development. Try to catch me on irc
channel #phonon and I'll give an overview on how I want to create the
backend (which might not be the best way, so feedback and help is
always welcome).