[Parley-devel] Proposal

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Fri Dec 26 20:51:49 UTC 2014

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 07:28:43 AM samuel allain wrote:
> Hello,I'd like to thank you for the great work you've done. As a student I
> use parley a lot (dozens of thousands of questions), in my daily learning
> and it helps a lot. Parley is the best learning programme.

Hi Samuel, and thanks a lot for the praize!  I totally missed your mail when
your first wrote it, but I saw it now that Ansa answered it.  I'm sorry about
that.

> However, me and
> my friends have come to the same conclusion : an option is missing, the
> possibility of training with the questions ordered as they were enlisted.

>    We use it for langages but also for history and economics and sometimes
> the order would have some consistence. For example historical events could
> be more efficiently learned if the historical logic was kept.Some softwares
> do have this "order" option (Kwordquiz for instance), and I think it may
> give parley still more potential. Do you think it would be possible ?

Definitely!  I see that Ansa added it to Bugzilla as a wish.  We are mostly
done with the big architectural changes and we will soon start to add features
again.  This one seems simple enough.

That said, I still think that random order should be the default because
research shows that when you train things in order, you will remember the
"next word" in a series rather than the translation of the word itself, which
of course is bad in a real situation. But your use case does make sense so
I'll probably add it soon.

	-Inge