[Parley-devel] Re: Practice Sentence idea

alsaf alfraealba at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 18:43:42 CEST 2011

Just to give an update on the status of the Sentence Generator project I
had mentioned.

It generates simple sentences and I've added functionality that allows
for complex sentences in the sense of ones that require grammar/spelling
rules specific to the target language to be learned.

The bad news is that I had originally planned a use a XML type system to
create these rules but unfortunately that was too complex to code and
would be too complex to create rules. The solution I went for was just
to code the functionality into the program. As these rules involve
string manipulation I have created an API of function to make coding of
these rules easier to code and make the only requirement for anybody to
do this is a basic understanding of the Python programming language.

The project is far from complete as at the moment it is CLI driven and I
intend to put a GUI on top of it. The most important thing however, is
that I need to complete documentation as the generator has a pretty high
learning curve. I have included a sample kvtml file and put in error
checking into the program which should help with error messages produced.