[Parley-devel] practice feedback

matthias sweertvaegher matthias.sweertvaegher at gmail.com
Sun May 9 16:47:22 CEST 2010

Hi all

it's this time of the year again, exams are coming up, feverishly
starting to rush and study..
so today I checked in to try out parley trunk and see if those nasty
insert bugs were sorted out :) I got a compile error which dani_l
kindly helped me out with so I felt obliged to give some feed back to
him when asked about the new practice module ;)

I am absolutely no expert or language trainer power user, but since my
feedback got longer than expected I decided to mail it, so why not the
mailing list. These are actually just my notes while trying it out. So
here it comes:

generally: i love it :)

when starting the practice, there are 2 buttons to effectively start
(on the bottom left and on the top).

flash cards:
- initial focus on continue button is missing.
- I like how you can use different keys for progressing to next word
(enter) and choosing if you knew it or not (space). but you can also
choose to always use space.

written:
confusing image when showing answer, should be checkbox OR cross, but not both.
I understand you would use that when you have tried more than once and
the second answer is right.

love the practice result!

the buttons on top are a bit confusing though: with edit, I would
expect to edit the list I see as part of the practice result so I
could adjust certain words which I had wrong simply because I did not
get it literally correct because the stored translation was less
intuitive for example.

With close, I would expect to close the practice, not the vocabulary.
But that's probably because I am not that accustomed to the toolbar
buttons ;) (don't use them, I guess, but in that situation, you seem
forced)

I also tried the "gender of nouns" practice, for fun, since I don't
enter that info (for now). In that case, however, you kinda get stuck
(you can't go back to edit mode, or at least not in an obvious way).
Same goes for other modes that require extra info.

The default of 5 for number of choices in multiple choice, seems a bit
much to me, but it doesn't matter since you can reconfigure.

the mixed letters is really cool but I probably won't ever use it
except to show off at friends :)

the stop practice button does not have an image.

i see it repeats words you did not know the first time. but it comes
quite fast. There should be more other words in between.

improve column positioning when starting practice

I also found a bug, when deselecting the main lesson, it resets the
title to "0". When clicking it again (to select all sublessons), it
renames itself to "2".

These are of course my personal opinions. I hope you can receive them
as positive and constructive :)

thanks for your time!

greets
matthias