[Parley-devel] Test Images

Sabine Cretella s.cretella at gmail.com
Mon May 3 10:04:42 CEST 2010

Hi Frederik,

the thing that would interest us most currently is if you find the new
> graphical parts of the practice appealing and if it works for you.

That part works fine for me - I was just testing to add images (therefore my
question on IRC) and want to have a look on how to add pronunciation.

I'll try to get my kids test Parley ... let's see how they react.

> On Monday 03 May 2010 00:55:02 Sabine Cretella wrote:
> > Ok, I had some time to test Parley - I tested on: Laptop Acer Extensa
> 5220
> > with 512 RAM
> >
> > I took the German-Italian file of our data to try to learn lessons. The
> > funny thing is: at the beginning when I said "practice again" from
> multiple
> > choice mode Parley crashed. Then I wanted to reproduce this and it did
> not
> > crash anymore - so just a hick-up. I used various practice methods - all
> > fine.
>
> The crash in Multiple Choice would be interesting, did you get a backtrace
> in
> the crash reporter? I tried to include debug packages for Parley, so
> hopefully
> this just works.
> Please try to save it if it happens again, since that is what we are
> looking
> to fix.
> The editing of vocabulary was changed very little in comparison to current
> versions.

Didn't crash anymore - should it happen again, I'll write down things
immediately.

> > Now during the next days I will try do do some other stuff, like adding
> > some pictures to a file, but seeing this CD-Example I am considering how
> > it would be if we had such a live cd or dvd with just parley and contents
> > files to study on it. I mean: you just put it in the drive, have it start
> > and you immediately start with Parley ... without having to know how to
> > call it from the menu.
> >
> > This would mean that we could simply take a CD (or some), get the
> contents
> > for example for the primary school here in Maiori on it and pass it on to
> > the teachers, headmasters and some students (they can then create their
> own
> > copies). Not having to install anything, but starting the application
> from
> > CD or DVD will make entering class rooms much easier ...
> >
> > Well ... just thinking while writing.
> >

> Creating the CD is not that difficult once you get the hang of it, adding
> files
> to it is also quite possible, so this is maybe something interesting. I
> would
> suggest using USB sticks instead of CDs, since they can save progress
> instead
> of being read only. In fact there was a vendor for notebooks for schools
> that
> would use linux live systems on usb sticks to allow each child to use any
> notebook as their own by just plugging in the usb stick. I don't remember
> the
> name of the project, nor do I know if it actually got put into practice or
> was
> just a presentation of the idea.

Have to buy some usb-sticks to test that ... hmmmmm ... now it's me thinking
loud again: what if we could get the mayor of Maiori to sponsor USB-sticks
to the kids with vocabulary training material and other lessons? If I only
had more time to write some question/answer files like "Which river flows
through London?" --> "Thames" or taking a picture of the Eiffel Tower and
say "How is this monument called"? - or "where does the Eiffel tower stand"
etc ... this would get us into geography, science (animals etc.), history
etc. - we do need teachers on board that pass on their tests ...

Ok, will now write up something to get the conversion to kvtml2 - this is
the first thing to achieve ...

Sabine