[Parley-devel] Test Images

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Sat May 1 18:59:45 CEST 2010

On Monday 26 April 2010 22:23:01 Daniel Laidig wrote:
> Hi Frederik,
>
> On Monday 26 April 2010 18:47:20 Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I hope this helps us get some feedback for our latest "Practice Redone"
> > attempt. I couldn't get around to it earlier. The images are created
> > using the awesome Suse Studio together with their Buildservice.
>
> Wow, I didn't except so see that happen while you are at the conference. ;)
me neither tbh ;) but then, instead of sleeping...

> Awesome!
>
> > Please let me know if these work for you. I tried to be as broad as
> > possible. The links will only be valid for a week and I cannot test them
> > as I currently have close to no internet connection. Even creating them
> > took some effort.
> >
> > Disk Image (usb sticks):
> > https://susestudio.com/download/9a09afb81bb0864c432ed8d2a15a96f7/Parley_U
> > ns table.i686-0.0.1.oem.tar.gz
>
> Enthusiastically I downloaded this, happy to have found some use for some
> old 1 GB USB stick because 470 MB should fit quite well. Well, er... The
> 1.6 GB size of the uncompressed image let me throw the thing right back
> into the stash of old stuff where I got it from. ;)
>
> I have some other 4 GB one I don't need any more and I'll try after
> verifying that it still saves data correctly. The mechanical shape and the
> weirdness in the past make me assume otherwise.
>
> > VMware Image:
> > https://susestudio.com/download/98fe833c8f4d9b965060726226291e2f/Parley_U
> > ns table.i686-0.0.1.vmx.tar.gz
>
> Next try. The bees are awesome, you got me there. I like it and it hasn't
> even booted yet. ;)
>
> > Live CD:
> > https://susestudio.com/download/705428e7fc5993c4c04f84d7c86ae56e/Parley_U
> > ns table.i686-0.0.1.iso
> >
> > the images are around 400-500 MB and feature a KDE snapshot from last
> > week. (Live CD being 399 MB, the others 470 MB)
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure the links can be accessed by everyone. If not,
> > please let me know, then I'll have to put them somewhere else.
> > (Beginning of next week)
>
> Works fine. If we need somewhere to put them, I have unlimited traffic
> (whatever that means) which I don't use at all. ;)
>
> > This is very much work in progress, but still, if you see obvious
> > brokenness (there is lots of it), maybe write us.
>
> - Nepomuk errors because of missing Virtuoso. Not nice but I feel right at
>   home. ;)
added, not sure if it's worth it...

> - I see a themed welcome screen so the build must be quite recent. But I
> still got the html error in GHNS. Shouldn't this be fixed?
it's whatever buildservice provides for kdelibs in the KDE4::Unstable repo, so
it might just be a bit too old.

> - Enabling the keyboard layout tray icon by default would help (and adding
> the layouts for the most common languages).
good idea (need to look into how I do that).

> - Some files (from GHNS + our feature test document) should be downloaded
> and in the recent files list.
yes, I just didn't know if it would work at all... suggestions?

> - Add a parley icon to the desktop/panel/whatever. ;)
done for the next version

> - Maybe install a browser, either Konqueror or rekonq. This way, your
> computer is still useful when running the image.
done

> - What about having a notes plasmoid with ways to contact us and give us
>   feedback?
sounds good too

> As the Suse Studio screencast promised modifying the image should be quite
> easy and I think it would be worth the effort to polish it before blogging
> about it. Btw, is there any way to collaborate in Suse Studio?
sadly it's not allowing any kind of collaboration yet. I know they're working
on that for the next version, but that doesn't help us.