[Parley-devel] flash card mode

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Mon Jan 12 07:01:52 CET 2009

Hi all,
since the state of the new practice is not yet good enough to replace the old
practice modes, it has been disabled for quite some time now.
I feel quite bad about that, but I had zero time lately to fix anything
really, though it looks as if I'll be able to squeeze in a little more time
soonish.
After doing a few fixes here and there, I still can't really decide what to do
with the flash card mode that is new and could be in 4.2.
I think it still lacks in quite a few points.
-The look isn't satisfactory.
-When checking the answer only the answer and not the original word is shown.
-The progress bar is hard to recognize as such
-The summary afterwards is mostly broken

So the question is basically whether it would be better to have this broken
flash card mode in 4.2. or none at all. To get it into shape for 4.3 finally.

Has anyone tried creating a new document and had trouble getting the grammar
definitions that are automatically fetched now? I imagine that it is somewhat
annoying with no/slow Internet connection.

Today I went over the ui part of the vocabulary fetching - I'm beginning to be
quite happy with it, only one small focus issue seems to be left, but since
the whole is a little fragile, I fear to break too much fixing that since I
don't have enough time to really sit down and look at it.

Trunk is open for 4.3, so I really want to get the new practice modes into
shape.
Get hot new stuff and translations for scripts are a must too.
And more scripts - has anyone attempted to write something?
I finally looked at the sample scripts we have - they are about 200 lines of
code. For a new website maybe 20 lines would have to be changed - that should
be easy with some python knowledge...
Hoping to hear from you all!!

Greetings and a happy new year :)
Frederik