[Parley-devel] Parley KDE 4.1 state

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at gmx.de
Fri May 2 03:40:56 CEST 2008

Hi List,
welcome you all :)
So far this has been ultra low traffic - time to change that.

Today I talked with Daniel about the current state of trunk (the subversion
repository sources that will become 4.1).
Feel free to work on any of these issues ;)
Anything else missing?
And of course you can contact me, if you are not sure where to start.
Here are some points he made (but in my wording):

Show/hide for extra columns in the table rather sucks. Maybe better have a
flat menu (no submenu) or a dialog to quickly show hide columns.
(eg right click on the table header to show the synonyms column of your
language of choice)

When entering words in the last column and pressing enter the focus moves to
the first entry. Instead append a new row again.

Sorting is at the moment only alphabetically. There should be something to
undo the sorting, in the document the order never changes anyways.
Doing the "no sorting" is easy in the qsortfilterproxymodel but requires a
nice way to enable it.
I would suggest tri state headers (sort ascending/descending/original oder).

Resizing the columns to the contents width sucks.
Enable manual resizing and sick with the user selected size.
In connection to this - if I'm not mistaken, there are still options for weird
sorting in the settings dialog - rip them out.

Make sure that the modified status is always set as soon as the user does
anything. There are quite a few things you can do without triggering that at
the moment.

(Not sure about this one: number of entries (next to the lesson) not updated
when adding new vocabulary.)

In practice: pressing enter triggers a button, but there's no way to tell
which one. Use QAbstractButton::animateClick() instead of just click() (I
think this is in the validate() functions).

Sometimes words are not counted as wrong in the statistic. They will be
repeated during practice and never marked as wrong.

Drag and drop to set the word type is just not discoverable. Add a right click
menu to assign word types (this sucks imho).

On my todo are still:

Synonyms - At least in practice mode this is just disabled.
Also to enable again: false friends and antonyms which share exactly the same
implementation as synonyms now.

Copy and Paste - Quite tricky, I'll do this one myself unless someone really
wants to do it ;)

Check how HTML export works - comments?
The table export should probably not contain the cool hidden words feature. At
least for printing that's not as nice.

Ok, it's late at night, so let me know if this makes any sense despite of
that. To me it doesn't at least ;)

Greetings,
Frederik

--