[Parley-devel] SoC Progress Update

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at gmx.de
Sat Jun 28 13:42:15 CEST 2008

Hi David,
thanks for updating everyone!

For those wanting to have a glimpse of the current state:
Both David and Avgoustinos are working on a svn branch until 4.1 is out of the
door.
Their work can be found at:
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/soc-parley

On Saturday 28 June 2008 08:25:30 David Capel wrote:
> It has been a while since I have made a progress update, so this is a
> good time to do it.
>
> My recent work has been finishing the Q&A mode and the core libraries,
> implementing the settings, and making practice generally more robust,
> in that order of priority. For specific details checkout the svn
> commit comments.
>
> Very recently I have split up the constructor of
> ParleyPracticeMainWindow into 3 separate phases. This will allow
> multiple practice modes to be handled cleanly. The three phases are
> the basic setup of vital parts that all modes need, the KAction setup,
>  and mode specific setup (which usually includes most of the graphical
> setup). I plan on making a separate phase3 function for each mode, and
> calling the appropriate one based on the settings. Inheritance is also
> an option, but I think that would be a poor choice in this situation.
>
> My short-term goal is to start with another mode (likely multiple
> choice) in order to find and remove Q&A-mode-specific code from the
> framework.
>
> My long-term goals are to begin remaking the previous modes.
>

> As of now, I'm exactly on my application schedule.
>

> As a side note, there was a bugzilla wish[1] for parley to know how to
> conjugate verbs in languages that follow regular patterns (namely
> Spanish and the romance languages).  As I told Frederik a while back,
> I have a mostly finished library that can conjugate regular Spanish
> verbs in every tense/mood/person (and once I add the ability to read
> kverbos's verb file, irregular verbs, too) that could probably be
> expanded to other romance languages easily. Is a plugin a reasonable
> solution for this wish, or should it be done some other way?
> Avgoustinos, is this your territory?

Hey, exactly my thoughts - using Avgoustinos' scripts will be a nice solution.
We also can access conjugation data bases, for example for Spanish I know of
http://turingmachine.org/compjugador/
where conjugations can be fetched automatically.

> Feel free to email me or talk to me in irc about anything that comes to
> mind.

Thanks for doing a great job and working hard even if we are not always around
to help!

--
Frederik Gladhorn

Parley - The Vocabulary Trainer