[Parley-devel] visible columns options

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at gmx.de
Sat Jul 19 22:37:46 CEST 2008

Hi Javier!

On Saturday 19 July 2008 20:47:50 Javier Goday wrote:
> Hi!, thanks for your reply!
>
> i really would like to help (within my reach),
> is the TODO file still valid, or have some other suggestion ?

One thing I have on my personal agenda which might be nice to do, is a new
dock widget that provides an overview for one word. I won't get around to
doing it in the near future, so I'd be glad if it appeals to you.

At the moment (as you know) the columns can be very helpful, but also very
hard to handle. What I had in mind was a widget that would contain properties
for a word in one language and follows the current selection (only shows
something if one word is selected).
Things it could contain are the different column contents:
 * The word itself
 * Example sentence
 * Lesson
 * Word type
 * Pronunciation

I have to admit I haven't looked at the todo for a while :)
Looking now... I'll try to update it. Best try playing around with it and see
if it works. Also have a look on bugs.kde.org with Parley as product.

If you need any help, just ask away, you can also email me directly or find us
on #kde-edu on irc/freenode. Usually there are helpful and nice people, I am
around at European evenings usually.

A few comments on the patch:
 - You can also put it in the right click menu of the vocabulary table (see
VocabularyView::VocabularyView).
 - Put your name in the copyright section :)
 - I'd prefer to have slotShowVocabularyColumnsDialog as part of
VocabularyView as it belongs to that part of Parley.
 - No need to put dialog in the title of the dialog :)
Good job!

Thanks,
--
Frederik Gladhorn