Questions on creating Plasma applets via scripting

Luca Beltrame einar at heavensinferno.net
Fri May 30 10:38:30 CEST 2008

Hello again, Plasma developers,

this time I'm not asking documentation-related questions, but a few
programming related ones.

Being a biologist who works with computers, I have always needed to do quick
searches on some databases. My idea was to make a small applet who would
query one of these databases through its API and I could access just by
putting it on the desktop and using the dashboard to access it.

I'm completely alien to C++, but I have been using Python for the past two
years, and recently I picked up PyQt. Since there are already third-party
packages to query the API, the backend stuff would be mostly done already.

So what it would be needed in such an applet was:

- a line-edit widget
- the ability to display HTML after the backend does its job (data fetching,
parsing, etc).

The big question is: is this doable with Plasma script intrerface? If so, are
there any examples with Python? (I'll also take a look at what SuperKaramba
does)

Thanks a lot!