Nominating a creative director

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Wed May 28 22:22:31 CEST 2008

On 5/28/08, Chani <chanika at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 28, 2008 11:55:44 Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  > so, given the current amount of problems we seem to be facing with
>  > artwork and plasma, I'm sending this mail to propose a slightly
>  > radical solution, nominating a real creative director. And thereby I
>  > propose a name: Nuno Pinheiro.
>

> hmmmm.
>  before we start nominating people, can we make it clear what exactly the
>  responsibilities of a "creative director" are for plasma?
>
>  from what I've read here, it sounds like what we need is someone who can:
>  *look at the 'big picture' visuals, not just individual problems/tweaks. make
>  sure everything is in tune, and fits together on a higher level, for plasma
>  as a whole.
>  *take interactions and usability into account - a stunningly beautiful
>  appearance won't get us anywhere if it turns out to be stunningly
>  impractical. a balance needs to be found between the ideals of artists and
>  the realities of computers.
>  *mediate disputes involving artwork - never a fun thing to do.
>
>  am I on the right track here?
>
>  I wouldn't know whether pino has those skills, since I've mostly been ignoring
>  the art side of things. I just want to be as clear as possible about what's
>  expected.

Just answering this tonight. =)

Yeah, you're perfectly on the right track... and that's exactly why I
proposed him.
He knows his topic, he knows about art, about design, about usability
and its generic principles. HCI (Human Computer Interaction).
Infact, he was one of the founding members of the e.V. HCI working
group (which has been closed lately, though).

Briefly about the scary part now. ;-)
Don't be scared... there's no need. He won't be the dictator of plasma
if we make him the creative director. ;-)
That's just a way to give him a bit more of power in plasma... that
last final word on the complicated design issues probably, or on
not-easily solvable artwork problems. The hand that makes the mocks
and voice that calls for help in making those become true.

And, most importantly, ensuring he is able to comfortably define the
whole interaction/visual concepts from inside the project...

Bye,
-Riccardo
--
GPG key: