Creative direction of plasma

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue May 27 22:36:39 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Michael Rudolph wrote:

> > > Panel-devel at kde.org
>
> Hello nuno,
>
> wow, that was fast.
>
> But if I may speak freely: no, no, no!
>
> This is just the most beautiful version of everything, that plasma needs
> to overcome.
>
> We need to ask ourselves the question: What is it, that the user really
> wants to do? And how can we use the technology that is currently
> available, at the beginning of the 21st century (and specifically in
> plasma, prior to the 4.1 release) to ease the user's way to achieving
> their goals?
>
> I like the lower folderview, in which you display a screenshot of an
> actual document. But why don't we just get rid of everything else
> around it?
> I've been talking about "no interface" being the "best interface" and
> I'd like to explain that, using this very example:

partly the direction is that, think about the picture frame that gets created
when a picture is dropped on the desktop, it will be extended for other file
types.
but a folder is only just another type of thing that can (or will can) get
created when dropped on desktop. it's a quick way to get maybe copy
create/delete operations done.
i think there is the need of that, even if more marginal (an applet vs the
entire desktop like before) because the concept of files and folders will not
go away anytime soon in the desktop (it makes sense for other kind of devices
btw) because trying to hide the filesystem too much can really cause
frustration (think about the media, home and system kio slaves in kde3)
probably for technical limitations (for example, how can i open a document
represented in plasma as a preview in a gtk app? at the moment it will always
stink) but we must live with that for a some time still.
on the other hand think i prefer it will remain quite simple and not a full
blown copy of dolphin.
just two random toughts :)

Cheers,
Marco Martin