KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/containments/folderview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 26 17:53:19 CEST 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
> think it's more important to come up with something at least good
> enough for 4.1 than to be kind,
>  once that thing is done, valium for all! :)
> it's really bad that this problem emerged only now and not say, one month
> ago :(

i've been aware of the problem since before 4.1 dev started, but was realistic
about not having the time myself to get involved in a way that would improve
things.

> now, the new theme designed by nuno has been mostly secret for a while
> (by fear of publishing it too early will look old already by 4.1
> release, sigh),

you know, there's a difference between "keeping it fresh" and "keeping the
project maintainer in the dark". we really need to work on the communication
here, guys.

> think btw changing it too much would be bad because it shares the
> design with the new kdm theme.

yes, this is all 4.2 work. it is far, far too late to start considering
changing direction for 4.1.

> > because that's really what's needed: someone to provide some visual
> > design that can step above the "hm... this one particular widget over
> > here needs this particular tweak" mentality and start thinking of the
> > whole.
>
> don't really think one background "one size fits all" will ever be
> possible, if the scope and look of two applets is really different probably
> the background has to be different,
> with a similar stile but still. and probably really two or three
> categories would be needed, no more

fine. in the name of expediency, let's accept this premise and work it out
then. realize that *every single svg* we add raises the bar to creating
themes. realize that i am nearly constantly working to keep the explosion of
complexity in these themes down. the people coming up with the art
definitions ought to think about *why* that is.

so. we have the default background. and we'll have one more for this new class
of applet. come up with some sensible names.