Start of extender API draft

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Sat May 24 20:48:09 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 06:46:59PM +0200, Ivan ??uki?? wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> I find a couple of things here a bit confusing (though it may be due to fact I
> don't cope well with long mails :) )
>
> The first is the class naming. Extender is an applet, but we have
> ExtenderApplet as well.
>
> If I understand this correctly, Extender is an applet which is in some sense a
> container for DetachableWidgets? And ExtenderApplet is a real generic applet
> that is going to handle drag and drops...?

Hmm, I probably didn't make this very clear. Everything from the class
extender could also just be added to applet. It makes sure every applet
can handle extenders. ExtenderApplet is a very simple applet that does
little more than this and functions mainly as host applet for a detached
widget.

> DetachableW should also contain some sort of type identifier (analogous to
> mime type for DnD since you have the
>    bool acceptDetachable (DetachableWidget * widget);

That function can just access config() or sourceApplet() to obtain
usefull information. But maybe a mime type like approach makes sence,
I'll think about it.

> The rest seems ... well, mostly OK.
>
> I would suggest you to develop both the extender concept and at least one of
> the /users/ (knotify or something) in parallel so that you are able to detect
> the design mistakes (we all make those) on time.

Yeah, that was the plan. :)

> Cheerio!
> Ivan

Thanks for your feedback. :)