A small Plasma "questionnaire"

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri May 23 21:14:31 CEST 2008

On May 23, 2008 00:01:46 Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Hello, Plasma developers,
>
> as one of the members of the "fearless band of wikiers", as Aaron put it,
> I'd like to start preparing the Plasma FAQ for updates on what will be
> coming on KDE 4.1 (it's already out of date). Since I can't run SVN trunk
> at the moment (my machine is too underpowered for the compiling), I'd like
> to know the status of some components so that I can already adjust the FAQ
> according to that.
>
>  Just answer briefly to these statements if you work on the related matter,
> like this:
>
> - "Yes" (feature complete, or will be completed by 4.1 final)
> - "Partial" (some of this will be in 4.1, some won't)
> - "No" (4.2 or beyond material)
>
> 1. ZUI related stuff - containment switching, add/removal of activities

I'd say partial. you can zoom and switch activities with the mouse or
keyboard, you can add activities, and you can even remove them sometimes.

what we don't have is a way to change the keyboard shortcuts (or even discover
half of them), a way to change the containment plugin (if you want
blankdesktop you have to edit your config file by hand), or some other fancy
zui stuff that might show up someday.

stuff that people probably won't find out themselves:
to remove an activity, you have to zoom out, make sure it's not the current
activity, then right-click and you'll get a remove option.
keyboard shoutcuts:
add widgets	ctrl-a
lock widgets	ctrl-l
zoom out		ctrl--
zoom in		ctrl-=
next applet	ctrl-n
prev applet	ctrl-p
next containment	ctrl-]
prev containment	ctrl-[
applet settings	ctrl-s
containment settings	shift-ctrl-s
remove applet	ctrl-r

keyboard shortcuts won't work on the panel until 4.2 (changes in kwin are
needed). there's also a qt issue that makes keyboard focus not update
properly sometimes when you click things.

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com