Plasma::Service API review

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun May 18 20:03:44 CEST 2008

Le Saturday 17 May 2008, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Friday 16 May 2008, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Well, apart from the defaults (and well, using a QMap instead of a
> > KConfigGroup is exactly the same if you already fill the map) what does
> > it provides? I really don't get why KConfigGroup is so special in this
> > context.
>
> we already have code from ConfigXML to allow a very nice non-code way of
> describing these things that also happens to magically work with our
> configuration system.
>
> i think you're sort of looking at it the wrong way around here: what is so
> great about QMap that is makes up for all the additional API it would
> require to support it properly?

Well, I don't think QMap is "great" or something like that. I just don't
understand what additional API would be require to "support it properly". My
point is that if we ignore runtime documentation for a minute I really don't
see what KConfigGroup would provide which would be useful in this context.

I really have this feeling I just didn't find the right API from KConfigGroup
somehow to understand why it's so special in this context... somehow that
pisses me off. :-)

> > Make that a:
> > QMap<QString, QVariant> args = service.defaultsForOperation("update");
> > Assuming it's prefilled you get the parameters, their defaults and their
> > types.
>
> and where do we get runtime documentation?

Ignoring this one for a minute still.

> and where can we store these in an offline format?

IMO, it doesn't really make sense to expose KConfig in API because you
internally have a storage need.

> i'm actually hoping to use KConfigSkeleton a little more
> agressively here than i currently am.
>
> > > and runtime documentation for them and
> > > ... you end up with KConfigSkeleton.
> >
> > KConfigGroup actually provides runtime documentation?
>
> KConfigSkeleton does.

OK, then it makes sense to have KConfigSkeleton. Runtime documentation in
itself is probably enough to justify its use.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."