KPackageKit

mirttex85-kde at yahoo.com.br mirttex85-kde at yahoo.com.br
Tue May 13 22:02:23 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

Well i was thinking on sending this e mail a long time ago but just now that i got something working i decided to send it.
I talked to David Faure and he said that might be people interested in this project.

Well a brief explanation of why i decided to join PackageKit team.
Some time ago 7 months i was thinking was should be different to allow more users to use linux,
and even better what should be easier to users that they will love linux...
So i had this idea (http://maison.mymadcat.com/~madcat/target.png) and decided to make it happen, so at the end of 2007 i talked to David that tell me to talk to another guy (that i'm sorry don't remember the name) about it.
At the beginnig i thought i'd use Kpackage, but this guy told me about packageKit and that it should be a kind of replacement for kpackge, well comparing those two programs i saw the brilliant future of packageKit and started to play with it.
My bad luck was that the apt backend (as i use Debian) wasn't working, so i tryied to help but my foo in python is not that good.
Well apt now is working (but really needs improvemnts) and i decided to start working on a kde gui since the majority of Pk dev use gnome.

If you look at PK web site you'll see that there's a QPackageKit to download, yes there's a QPackageKit but the development stoped. So the old developer and i joined forces to make this happen. as he Adrien Bustany is much more familiar with pk than i am we dicided to split the things (which i find it much more productive), he develops a libpackagekit-qt and i am woking on the gui side. Of course we give a hand to each other but i'm a little more familiar with kdelibs...

I decided to make Kcm modules for search/install/remove, settings and updates, so everything can be controled on the system settings. I'll also do a system service that will show an icon on the tray if there's some updates. The idea that i had requires more changing like make kickoff use konq actions... but not that hard to manage.

Well lib is not working with 0.2 version of Pk but will work soon, and the search thing is completed, now we want to make install/remove work.
The development is going fast i think later this month we'll have the first release.
Then i hope this could be included on Kde 4.2.

So this is it..

If you have a idea, or want to contribute yell on the pk ml or send me an email.
PS. Is better to send me mail on mirttex85-pk at yahoo.com.br, cause this one i sent i don't use very often..

Some Screenshots:
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-screenshots.html#kde

I'll sure need a hand on the kickoff idea... :D

Daniel.

http://br.mail.yahoo.com/