KRunner config dialog

Jordi Polo mumismo at gmail.com
Wed May 7 12:04:03 CEST 2008

> > > Just a little question, what did we gain by sharing searchcontext? The
> > > point of performMatch and local searchcontexts was to reduce the locks
> > > on the searchcontext. Currently, we still lock everytime we add a
> > > match and DataPolicy is useless.
> >
> > We also locked previously when calling addMatchesTo(), the main benefict
> is
> > that local SearchContext share the data instead of copying it. So we
> have
> > effectively _one_ shared list instead of a global list where multiple
> local
> > list copied their data.
> >

> My point was this was the original setup before I added performMatch
> to reduce the locks as Aaron suggested last year. Back then, we added
> matches directly to a global searchcontext.

I don't see much problem with the locks. Adding a match to the context is
fast enough and that's the only operation that can create contention. But, I
guess that you and Aaron had good reasons to modify it back then and those
reasons may still hold true ... What are them?

--
Jordi Polo Carres
NLP laboratory - NAIST