two patches for tasks data engine

Sebastian Kuegler sebas at kde.org
Wed May 7 01:35:16 CEST 2008

Hi Matthieu,

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 23:24:24 Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> Le mardi 6 mai 2008, GALLIEN Matthieu a écrit :
> > Hi, everybody
> > First thank you for all your hard work on plasma.
> > This is my first patches ever send, but plasma seems a good start for
> > that activity ;)

Congrats, welcome to Plasma and happy hacking :)

> > I plan to work on an tasks applet to replace the kasbar of kde3. I mean
> > that I want a taskbar without the name of tasks, just icons and the
> > desktop number. I believe that it could be a good idea to try to use the
> > tasks datengine. This is why I send those patches.
> > It seems that the engine does not add sources for startup tasks.
> > This the goal of the patch-startup.diff.

I've had a quick look at the patch (didn't compile it, but spotted the omitted
var name, and then saw it's fixed in your updated patch :)

> > I am really novice, but it seems also that the coding style could benefit
> > from my second patch (maybe not). In all case it may not be correct but
> > may help me to better understand the coding style anyway.

Coding style cleanup is good. Bonus points for it as a separate patch :)

> again
> updated the patch for adding startup task as sources, because it was not
> compiling and not possible to apply the two patches simultaneously.
> Now you may apply first the patch for coding style and then the patch to
> add startup task sources.
>
> Sorry for the noise

No problem. A bit of comment on your patch:

> +    removeSource(QString(startup->id().id()));

Remove QString()

> +    setData(name, "TaskOrStartup", QString("startup"));

Instead of QString("startup"), you can just write "startup", conversion
happens automatically, IIRC.

> +    setData(name, "TaskOrStartup", QString("task"));

"task"

It looks good, and I don't see any issues with it (which doesn't mean there
are none ;)). Moreover, it's a nice addition.

By the way, did you look at the tasks applet? It doesn't seem to use the tasks
engine, but the taskmanager/taskmanager.h lib directly.
--
sebas