Save/Restore several desktop layouts

Florian Sievert floriansievert at phobeus.de
Sat Mar 22 12:02:47 CET 2008

Hi,

I am not sure, if something like that was discussed before (in fact I
would wonder if not), but I was not able to find anything about it.
Because of this, I didn't want to add a new wish to bko. If I slip
something or searched with the wrong terminology, please reference me to
the location, so I could read more on. thx.

I am using KDE 4.0.x on my notebook at university and of course it is
much fun to play around with plasma and some different applets. However
not in every situation it is good to have so much "toys" on the screen.
I often place some nice frame applets to uninteresting parts of the
wallpaper to feel more comfortable. Before an presentation however, I
would like to remove them to have a blank wallpaper without anything
that might distract the listener. Additionally, I like to change
wallpapers quite often and the main motive is often on a different place
on  the screen. So to make it looking nice again, I often have to move
or resize the applets to fit into a fine new position. Having about 5-6
applets all over the screen, this might take some time and is especially
nasty, if you know that you might change the wallpaper a week later
again and have to do it again. I guess this problem is similar to people
who had been sorting the icons on KDE 3.5 to fit somehow on their
current wallpaper.

So I asked myself, if it would not be nice to save the current state of
the desktop (wallpaper, panels, applets etc.) under a profile name to
allow changing between them within a few clicks. I could imagine that
the toolbox would be a nice place to put something like "profiles",
showing a window where the user can select or save plasma desktop
layouts. The user just put the applets all over the screen to fit his
needs and then save the current state. Later, if the user load the
profile again, applets and wallpaper would be in a fine position again.
For example somebody like me could create a "privat" (with some applets)
and a "presentation" (ex. with a plain screen) profile to switch between
both before or after a presentation within seconds.

I am not sure about technical problems in the background, but I imagine
that it won't be much more than offering a possibility to save and load
several different "plasma-appletsrc" files? However, I think that it
might be usefull for several people, making there lives much easier. Is
anything similiar planned yet?

Best regards,
Florian