UPnP Dataengine

Magnus Romnes romnes at stud.ntnu.no
Sat Mar 22 03:37:41 CET 2008

On Thursday, 20. March 2008 19:27:16 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2008, Bernhard Rode wrote:
> > Are there any plans about a UPnP Dataengine?
>
> haven't heard of one yet. should this be added to the devices engine?

I'm currently working on a Zeroconf data engine which is sort of the same, at
least to some extent. What's important to remember is that UPnP consists of
several quasi-related technologies:

* Service Discovery
* A Audio/Video service
* NAT Traversal

The part I'm interested in is the service discovery. I think Bernhard and the
Amarok team are more interested in the AV service for obvious reasons. So we
need to agree upon which part of the UPnP technologies a data engine should
handle, or if it should handle more than one part.

The grand idea behind service discovery in plasma is that we could make the
device notifier catch networked devices (printers, scanners, etc). We could
also create a "Service Notifier" applet to complement the device notifier by
letting us know when new services (SSH-server, remote desktops, web-servers)
are available on the network.

Before my Zeroconf data engine project goes as far as to implement a service
notifier applet I would like to know what you think about making a distinction
between devices and services and the whole idea of a service notifier applet.