GSoC: command and get obeyed !

Jordi Polo mumismo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 19:37:04 CET 2008

Unbelievable, in 3 or 4 iterations of emails we seem to agree if not 100% of
the ideas, at least in most of the vision.

I will rewrite all this in a more concrete gsoc style proposal and send it
to the ML tomorrow.

> > translate  -> feed runners and get their results (the user select or
> launch
> > the top ranking)
> >
> > :translate -> The command is parser and only the "translate" service
> runner
>
> other things that can help:
>
> * relevancy ranking. any runner which recognizes its keywords (e.g.
> "starting
> with translate" for a translation runner) should up the relevancy of the
> rturn
>
> * if done in coordination with another application, that application can
> hint
> which runner to favour (not neccessarily limit to, but at least favour),
> which you already mentioned above.

I see two choices here:
- Let the runners do the parsing job. Adding keywords to the runners, get
apps hinting and let the best win. May be more dynamic but you may not get
what you want and surely more difficult to implement.
- Let a "proxy" do the parsing job. Mapping keywords to runners. Configure
what syntax goes to what runner and let only one activate. All the language
parsing in one place, more reliable results (the user defines how the
language works), learning can be implemented here though.

At a first glance both choices may have advantages and drawbacks. But being
3.30 am here now, my first glance is all but reliable.

--
Jordi Polo Carres
NLP laboratory - NAIST