GSoC application draft: extenders.

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Wed Mar 19 17:41:25 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:57:13AM -0700, Jamboarder wrote:
> From: Rob Scheepmaker <r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've improved my proposal a bit. It can be found at
> >
> > http://cripplefight.student.utwente.nl/extenders.pdf
> >
> > I'm really hoping that a couple of people could spare some time to
> > deliver feedback on this, since I want to have my GSoC application ready
> > when the application period starts, and I want to know if I'm on the
> > right track. Should it be more specific on the details? Is it 'big'
> > enough for GSoC? I would like to know what you think about it.
> > Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance...
> >
> > Rob Scheepmaker (pinda)
>
> I think this would be great.  I've been thinking about working on this since
> seeing some of the first KDE4 mockup proposals a few years ago.  Many applets
> could take advantage of this and it would provide a great deal of consistency.
> In addition to the examples provided in the proposal, some examples that come
> to mind include:
> - Clock applet display of multiple timezones (tear-off a time zone and place on the desktop)
> - Battery applet display of multiple batteries, cores, etc.
> - KGet downloads
> - Device Notifier applet display of different devices.

Those are some great examples. That battery applet could even be a complete
system monitor, capable of displaying a lot of info (cpu/mem/disk usage,
network traffic etc.) where the user could cherry pick the information
he finds more important and drag that somewhere where he could keep an
eye on it, while still having all other info only a mouse click away.
I also really like the clock applet idea... plasma's still all about
clocks of course, so we really should have some clocks which use extenders.
Then you could have clocks in your panel which could open an extender
containing even more clocks, which could then be dragged anywhere....
clocks everywhere! :p

> Ok so maybe not all of the above, but the framework would be great to be able
> to use in ways we may not have yet thought of.
>
> I have no say on what's 'big' enough for GSoC.  But for what little it's worth,
> I'd certainly welcome this.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andrew Lake

Thank you for your feedback! I'll put some of your ideas in my proposal
if you don't mind.

Rob Scheepmaker (pinda)